Friday 26 August 2011

Holy Land - Pilgrim Reflection No.1

 By Pilgrim Lauren Langrell

On the first day of the Pilgrimage, what struck me the most was the visit to Abu Serga Church where the Holy Family took refuge after fleeing from Jerusalem. After finally retrieving from all the Egyptians salesmen, loud train noises and busy crowds, the pilgrim group entered the peaceful and ancient Church.  Once entering, we were taken behind the covered altar to where the entrance of the crypt. Although unable to enter, we were still able to see down the stairs to where the Holy Family stayed. For me, just being in the presence of where Christ was over 2000 years ago, was a surreal experience where time seemed to come to a halt.

My faith has been built around the Church’s teachings and Scriptures, which were dated thousands of year’s ago and often I felt distant because there was such a significant time gap. But standing above where God incarnate walked, prayed, ate and lived was an experience I cannot truly comprehend, but I wanted to stay there for hours.  And I thought to myself – I wish I could access this everyday.

Suddenly I felt God speaking through to me, reminding me that I have this available to me everyday. That this presence of Christ in the Abu Serga Church 2000 years ago, is present NOW in the Eucharist! Our Lord is physically present here today, everyday, every moment – waiting for us to receive Him. I was falling more in love with the Eucharist, for even though Christ was physically present in the crypt 2000 years ago, He is physically present here in the Eucharist!! And we can receive the body and blood of Christ physically! How much our God loves us is so clearly evident and His continuous presence on earth is here. 

This beautiful moment of realization has lit a new fire within my heart for the Eucharist. That in every Catholic Church I enter, Jesus Christ is just as present as He was when He walked on the ground of this earth. And that even though the Scriptures and Church’s teachings were formed thousands of years ago, the Word made flesh is present and is here!  We can encounter Christ and enter into His covenant when we receive Him, just as our spiritual ancestors physically encounter Christ.  I thank God for this blessed experience on the first day and I eagerly look forward to the many more abundant blessings that will draw us pilgrims closer and more deeply in love with Christ, whom is present in the Eucharist now.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience. Looking forward eagerly to visit Abu Serga.

    ReplyDelete